Sonoco in West Chicago is seeking a full time Production Supervisor. The successful candidate under the direction from the production manager, is accountable for safety, quality, productivity, material handling, cost performance, and employee relations for assigned shift and department. Job requires efficient use of resources (labor, materials, and equipment) to manufacture quality products at lowest possible cost. Supervise and coordinate the activities of hourly employees on assigned shift. Position is responsible for implementing and maintaining best manufacturing practices and regulatory compliance for assigned shift.
- Ensure safety of all employees; lead safety teams and programs on assigned shift to prevent injuries. Comply with all federal, state, and local environmental and safety regulations (EPA, OSHA, etc.).
- Supervise all production activities for assigned shift. Schedule shift employees. Crew machines to cover vacations, absence, and overtime.
- Meet or exceed productivity, cost, or other performance metric expectations for assigned shift. Implement and maintain best manufacturing practices.
- Hire, train, direct and mentor shift employees with diverse language, cultural and educational background.
- Direct shift in continuous improvement initiatives, such as 5S with safety, Kaizen events, and lean manufacturing.
- Coordinate production scheduling on shift to meet customer demands, to manage overtime, to minimize inventory, and to reduce costs.
- Support quality initiatives to ensure product meets or exceeds customer expectations. Ensure employees complete required quality checks and audits.
- Build and maintain productive employee relationships, driving employee satisfaction. Provide direction, training, and development as needed. Provide coaching, counseling, or discipline as needed. Recommend disciplinary action to production manager.
- Identify, propose, and implement capital projects to improve operational performance.
- Prepare or approve required shift documentation: production reports, time cards, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in business, science or engineering preferred - experience can substitute for a degree